What is a septum piercing?
A septum piercing is exactly what it feels like! It’s a piercing that passes through your nasal septum i.e. it passes between your nostrils. The needle passes through the thin piece of flesh towards the front of the nose and is then adorned with a ring, a bar or a horseshoe.
When the cartilage between the nostrils is pierced, to put up some accessory within, it is referred to as septum piercing.
Septum piercing had been in practice for a very long time. If a bigger sized accessory is worn in the pierced septum, it complements the fierceness of the look. This was trendy during the early ages to bring the ferocity on the face and alert the enemies of the strength and will to win over.
Procedure on how to do septum piercing
The cartilaginous wall in the two nostrils is pierced through with a needle or wire made from gold or silver. The needle or the wire is always sterilized before any piercing is done. Normally 1.6mm needle is used to have septum piercing. In some cases, the width might be greater, after then the piercing needs to be done with wider instruments like a scalpel, etc. or some might be done through medical operations.
The nose is cleaned and disinfected before piercing the septum. Though the procedure can be painful but if done by an expert, then the process is completed without having any complications.
The septum piercing takes approximately 2-3 weeks to heal and dry, and the slightest traction or maybe lightest brush could result in the pain and lead to problems. But the whole healing process needs around 6-8 months.
How much do septum piercings cost?
It is important to note that you should by no means skimp on piercings – it is better to pay higher and visit a super, licensed piercer than to save a few bucks. Septum piercings are usually done around £15-£40, so find the most reputable piercing studio close to you and ask how much they charge. Averagely, you can expect to spend at least around £30, but never skimp!
After-Care of septum piercing
It is essential to know what to do and what not to do after septum piercing is done.
- A little swelling due to a white fluid secretion will occur after piercing; this occurrence is natural where the body reacts to the piercing. But in case the secretion tends to be in the yellow or greenish color then it can lead to some complication signs.
- Even if the discolored fluids secret then it is advisable to keep the accessory inside the pierced part, try putting off would possibly lead to another problems because the traction is included in the process and taking the accessory out also can also close the pierced hole.
- The pierced septum need to be cleaned with warm water and sea salt mixed in it, using a cotton ball with the accessory remove from the nose.
Recovery Ways of septum piercing
If the proper guidelines by the experts are followed, then the pierced septum can heal quickly.
- Consumption of alcohol increases the healing process of septum piercing. Avoid taking alcohol based beverages, and avoid using facial cosmetic products that contain alcohol.
- As stated above, it is a must to clean the fresh septum piercing.